When you use pillows regularly then it gets dirty after some time. When sweat is absorbed by the pillowcases then it smells like vinegar, garlic, or fish.
According to the study an average American sweats about one lite of sweat each night. Then the sweat is absorbed by the pillow and it gets dirty and also it smells.
You need to wash the pillowcases at least twice a week. And also you can clean it regularly.
How to wash pillowcases?
I am going to give you the answer to your question. And everything you need to know about the washing of the pillowcases.
There are many homemade ideas you can use for washing the pillowcases.
I will tell you the method step by step. For that, you have to scroll down.
Why Do Pillowcases Get Dirty?
There are many reasons why pillowcases get dirty. Here are some reasons given.
- When you use pillowcases regularly then it has built up dirt, oil, and sweat. This is one of the reasons why pillowcases get dirty.
- Our sweat is mainly composed of sodium chloride and water. The compositions are not over yet.
- That means our sweat contains many other compositions that contain urea, potassium, lactate, calcium, and ethanol in small amounts.
- When the sweat is over-absorbed by the pillowcases then it smells dirty. it smells like vinegar, garlic, or rotten eggs.
- If bacteria, mold, dust mites, and germs are present on your pillowcases then it gets dirty and also its smell dirty.
How To Wash Pillowcases?
There are many methods for washing the pillowcases. You can use the methods as per your requirement and the availability of products.
That means if the smell is not strong and pillowcases are a little dirty then you can use home methods to wash the pillowcases.
And if the pillowcases have a strong smell then you can use strong solutions for removing the smell.
Read More: Does Pillows Have Fiberglass?
Let us see how to wash pillowcases step by step.
Things you will need
- Stain pre-treatment spray
- Laundry detergent
- Dryer balls (or tennis balls)
- First you have to check the pillow cover for any type of stain is appear on the cover.
If you notice any stains on the cover of the pillow then spray them with a laundry pre-treatment.
Let it sit for 20 mins.
- Now put the cover of the pillow in the washing machine. And then add a small amount of detergent to the dispenser.
(Do not use more detergent because it wants to make the cover cleaner, it only leaves more residue behind.)
- Now you have to wash the cover in warm water. And now for removing the excess detergent add an extra rinse cycle.
- After the cycle is completed, put the pillow covers in the dryer with a couple of dryer balls.
- Now you should dry the cover of the pillows for an hour.
There are two types of settings-
- If the pillow covers are fiberfill then you should use low to medium heat.
- And if the pillow covers are down fill then you should use extra low or no heat.
6. When the dryer cycle is done take the pillows cover out of the machine and check if any moisturizer remains in the pillow cover.
You can check it by squeezing the cover slightly in different areas.
If any moisture remains in the cover then it is dangerous for you because it could be the reason for growing bacteria on the moisture of the cover.
Make sure that the pillow cover is completely dry.
You can also keep the cover in sunlight for completely dry.
- Now put the cover back on the pillow. and you can use the pillow for the next and better sleep experience.
What Should I Do If My Pillow Is Smelling Dirty?
There will be bacteria and mold is the main reasons that your pillow is smelling dirty.
You can use many methods to remove the smell from your pillow.
Here are some methods given.
Method 1- Baking Soda
Take some amount of baking soda and sprinkle it all over the pillow.
Let it sit for at least two hours. After that vacuum all the baking soda from your pillow.
Method 2- Lemon
This is the easiest way to remove the smell from the pillow.
For that a lemon and cut it into slices. now you have to rub the slices on the affected area of your pillow.
If you don’t want to rub the slices on the affected area then you can use the clothes for it.
You can use a cotton cloth for applying the lemon juice to the affected area.
It removes the dirty smell from your pillow.
Method 3- Enzyme Cleaner
If the smell is strong then you can use the enzyme cleaner for removing the smell.
For removing the smell using enzyme cleaner, you have to take ⅓ part of the enzyme cleaner and ½ part of the water and then mix it well.
Now take the mixture in the spray bottle and spirit all over the pillow.
Wait for at least 30 minutes and then remove the excise mixture from the pillow.
These are the different methods I have given above. You can use it for your requirement.
When we use the pillows regularly then we must wash the pillowcases regularly.
Because if you do not wash pillowcases regularly then it can be the reason for growing bacteria on the pillowcases.
In this article, I have given the procedure on how to wash pillowcases.
Are you satisfied with the above information?
You can check my other articles about mattresses, air mattresses, and pillows.